Thursday, January 22, 2009

Shoveling out the manlift

After taking out the center ceiling panel I noticed the A/C is caving in the roof. Read the thread at airforums.com I'll need to fix this before I can start putting the trailer back together..
I am going to need to remove the A/C unit and put some bracing in the ceiling and then reinstall the A/C. I have a manlift so I thought I would put it to work instead of using scaffolding but first I had to dig it out of 4' of snow. The manlift sits next to the driveway and it just got buried from snow blowing the driveway, took me about 4 hours to to dig it out, took another few hours to get it out of the rut it had created from sitting there in the fall rainy season, it weighs 12000 pounds.
While it was out I shoveled the roof on the house, broke off some dandy ice sickles and salted the ice dams, the house is a 150 year old two story house. Because of the design it is impossible to insulate were the walls meet the roof, I have had a few years where the ice sickles are long enough to reach when standing on the ground. They were not that long this time but because we have had such cold weather with no warm days the Ice dam had crept out over the edge of the roof 14" in one area over the driveway.

Why do I have a manlift you ask. I needed a new roof and in its 150 years it has never had the shingles tore off, there were 7 layers of asphalt shingles and one layer of cedar shake. The cheapest estimate I got for a new roof was $12,000.00 and that did not include any insulating or repairs that would surely need to be done. I paid $5000.00 for the manlift and $3800.00 for the materials and my Dad, brothers and a few friends had the old roof off and a new one on in three days. They did a lot of repairing and replacing of the deck fascia and sofit. I kept the lift and did painting, fixed window, made and installed storm windows and the kids and I drop stuff from it just to watch things smash.

When it get just above freezing I'll start work on the A/C.


The roof caving in and the lift

No comments: